Not sure if nut allergic people can eat coconut, so please be aware of that ( just in case).
4 large free-range egg yolks
1 heaped teaspoon of cornflour
2 heaped tablespoons of caster sugar
400 ml (4 fl. oz) 1 and a half cups of coconut milk
5 heaped tablespoons of desiccated (shredded) coconut
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3 and a half cups of coconut cream
2 tablespoons of toasted coconut pieces (optional for decorating)
Mix the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together in a bowl, and slowly adding the coconut milk.
2. Transfer to a saucepan, add the desiccated (shredded) coconut and cook over a low heat, stirring all the time.
3. Cook until thick and smooth, then remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
4. Stir in the coconut cream.
5. Once it is cool, pour the custard into your prepared ice cream maker and churn until frozen and smooth (approximately about 20 minutes).
6. Serve scoops of ice-cream scattered with toasted coconut pieces with a pool of lukewarm sauce of your choice.
Image courtesy of : stu_spivack