For those of you that love to make things from scratch, and love the idea of not letting your children eat processed sauces, here is a wonderfully healthy Tomato Sauce recipe for you. I don’t think I have met a child that didn’t like Tomato Sauce, but I must admit most eat the processed store bought ones, and they are full of sugar and salt ( what’s not to like??) .
Preparation and cooking: 25mins
Great for vegetarians
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 450g/1lb Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 175g/7 oz Butter
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp Fresh Tarragon
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 110ml/4 fl.oz Fresh Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
1. Put the onions, tomatoes, butter, herbs garlic and tomato purée into a blender and process until smooth.
2. Bring the stock to the boil, then lower the heat and gradually add the puréed mixture whisking continuously. Do not allow to boil. Continue to cook for 15 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Serve with savoury pancakes, fish, pasta, vegetables, lamb, beef or poultry.
If you are a keen gardener, then you can also pick your herbs from your garden, wash them well and use them in this sauce.
If you double the quantities, then collect small margarine tubs, and fill them with the sauce, and freeze them. Then whenever you need a tub, whip it out, defrost it, and ‘voila!’ fresh sauce for all the family!