Because one of my household is vegetarian, I have to have a vegetarian option in every meal.
This potato and mushroom bake is a wonderful option, and is often eaten as is, with baby Spinach leaves on the side as a family meal – especially on cold evenings.
On a winter evening, when you are tired of the tried and tested Fish pie, Spaghetti Bolognese, Chicken Noodle, or Chicken Nuggets and chips, then try this great meal out.
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins – 1 hr 20 mins
Serves: 6 – 8
Great for vegetarians
Good as a side dish or as a main meal
Good cold or hot
- 1½ King Edward potatoes, Desiree or similar
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- knob of butter , plus extra for greasing
- 300ml milk
- 400ml double cream
- 1 table spoon chopped parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 300g sliced mushrooms
- 50g Gruyère, grated
1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Boil the potatoes for 3 mins to soften a little, and then drain. When cool enough to handle, slice into 5mm pieces. Cook the onion in the butter in a pan until softened, about 5 mins, then pour in the milk and cream and heat through, add the chopped garlic and pinch of salt. Grease a large baking dish (about 20 x 30cm) with a little butter, place a layer of the potato slices into this dish, then place layer of sliced mushrooms( children love to do the layering – see the hint below) , pour over the cream mixture, parsley, and a quarter of the cheese. Repeat once this layer once more.
2. Smooth over the top, scatter over any of the remaining cheese and season with black pepper. Cover with foil and cook for 30 mins, then uncover and cook 30-40 mins more until a fork slides in easily and the top is golden brown
The children love to do the layering, and the pouring of the mixture, so it’s a great one to get them all involved with. My daughter made it with me from the age of 2, and the first ones were quite a sight, but you’ve never seen a child so proud of her work!
Looking for more healthy recipes for babies? Visit recipes site to find out more free recipes for babies and children.