Vegetable risotto allows for a multitude of flavours. Essentially you can put almost anything in, and this vegetable on is very versatile.
Preparation – 15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Great for vegetarians
- Olive oil spray or olive oil
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g (9oz) risotto rice
- 150g (5 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 litre ( 1 ¾ pints) hot vegetable stock
- 100ml (3 ½ fl oz) white wine (optional)
- 100g (each frozen peas and roughly chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, roughly chopped
Spray a large pan a few times with olive oil
Add the leek and shallots and fry gently for 5 mins until they are slightly softened.
Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 min.
Add the rice, mushrooms and chilli, and keep stirring.
Slowly add the stock, allowing the rice to soak up the liquid before adding more.
Keep stirring to stop the risotto from sticking to the bottom o the pan.
If you need more liquid, add some more stock, or the white wine.
Once cooked, (takes about 20 mins) stir in the peas, peppers, and cream cheese to heat them through.
Stir in the oregano .
You can try vegetarian sausage to go with this risotto.